This is team Sab-BOT-age's entry for FIRST Robotics Competition's 2018 game, FIRST Power Up.
Some notable 2018 achievements are:
- For the 6th consecutive year, the team hosted an FLL Scrimmage and a Regional Qualifying Tournament. With 29 attending teams, the FLL Scrimmage was our largest ever!
- We again co-hosted an FRC event - Westtown
- Received Creativity Award - Westtown
- Winner - Seneca
- Finalist - Hatboro-Horsham
- We received the District Chairman's Award for the first time - Hatboro-Horsham
- Head Mentor Clem McKown received the Don Bowers Inspiration Award - Hatboro-Horsham
- Finalist - FIRST Mid-Atlantic Championship
- Industrial Design Award - FIRST Mid-Atlantic Championship
- Finished the MAR Competition Season ranked 4th in a field of 125
- Qualified for FRC Championship for 8th consecutive year
- Excellence in Engineering Award - Carson/Tesla Division - FRC Championship
- Finalist Carson Sub-Division - FRC Championship
- FedEx 2018 Innovation Challenge winner - FRC Championship
- Received eight official FIRST awards, a team season record (highest previous number: six in 2015)
- Downingtown Area Robotics moves, reorganizes, grows
What a great game. And what a challenging robot to design, especially within the 120 lb weight limit.
Also, for a scale-capable robot, managing not just weight but center of mass is crucial. It's really hard to score once your robot has fallen over.
- Kick-off - 6-January-2018
- At Hatboro-Horsham High School
- Westtown - 9-11 March-2018
- The Westtown event is co-hosted by teams 1391 (based at the Westtown School) and 1640. Steve Compton (1391 Head Mentor) serves as Event Coordinator, while Clem McKown (1640 Head Mentor) serves as Volunteer Coordinator. This is the 3rd year of our co-hosting Westtown.
- 1640 performed well at this event, finishing qualifications in 3rd place with a 9-3-0 record. We led the 3rd alliance with teams 341 (Miss Daisy) and 4373 (Roobotics), making it to semifinals (3-3-0). Sab-BOT-age received the Creativity award, and 49 district qualifying points.
- Seneca - 23-25 March-2018
- We were invited by 834 (SparTechs) to join the 3rd Alliance. Together with 834 and 2600 (Team Falcon), we went on to win! Collect 60 district qualifying points.
- Hatboro-Horsham - 29-31 March-2018
- We were invited by 1218 (Vulcan Robotics) to join the 2nd Alliance. Together with 1218 and 1647 (Iron Devils), we blew through Quarter and Semifinals. So did the 1st Alliance (2590 Nemesis, 25 Raider Robotix, and 6226 Blue Devils). In Finals, we lost the first round to the 1st Alliance by 15 points (259-244). We then took the victory in the 2nd match by 17 points (252-260). These were two amazingly evenly-matched alliances! Alas, in the 3rd match, the fiberglass cascade anchors in our lift shattered early in the match, leaving us unable to score. We finished as finalists.
- For the first time ever, Team Sab-BOT-age received the District Chairman's Award! This is a significant achievement for the team. Our fedoras are off to our Chairman's sub-team!
- In addition, Head Mentor Clem McKown received the FIRST Mid Atlantic Don Bowers Inspiration Award.
- As this was our 3rd District Event, we did not receive any qualifying points.
- FIRST Mid-Atlantic Championship - 4 (load-in only) - 7 April-2018
- We were the 1st pick of FRC 25 (Raider Robotix), the 2nd Alliance Captain. FRC 1089 (Team Mercury) completed this powerful Alliance. We finished as Finalists in the rubber match.
- Sab-BOT-age received the Industrial Design Award.
- At the close of the FIRST Mid-Atlantic competition season, 1640 is ranked #4 in MAR with 274 ranking points (behind 2590 Nemesis - 355 pts, 225 TechFire - 336 pts, and 25 Raider Robotix - 309 pts).
- FRC Championship - 25 - 28 April-2018
- Finishing qualifications in 11th place (in a field of 68), we were the 1st pick of the 5th alliance comprising 71 (Team Hammond - Captain), ourselves, 5254 (HYPE) and 422 (Mech Tech Dragons). We made it to the finals, but were stopped there by the 2nd alliance.
- Sab-BOT-age received the Excellence in Engineering Award for Carson-Tesla. This is the first time that the team has won an award (other than Winner or Finalist) at FRC Championships.
- The team also won the 2018 FedEx Innovation Challenge Award, which comes with a grant of $10,000.
- Indiana Robotics Invitational - 12-14 July 2018
- Havoc - 6-October-2018
- Duel on the Delaware - 20-October-2018
- Ramp Riot - 3-November-2018
- D-Town Dustoff - 11-November-2017
- Downingtown FLL RQT - 9-December-2017
- Move from CCIU to 190 Exton Square Mall - 15-30 June, 2018
- King of Prussia FIRST Expo 2018 - 19-May-2018
- FIRST Robots at the Court at King of Prussia Mall! How cool is that? Our sincere thanks to FRC 708 (Hatters) for organizing this event.
Team Sab-BOT-age is what it is only due to the efforts of the people involved. DEWBOT XIV's success will be in the hands of the students, mentors and parents engaged. The team's very existence is possible only through the gracious generosity of our sponsors.
See our other robots in the Robot Archives.