News Archive 2016
Archive of News Articles from 2016.
- 1 FRC 1640 alumna and WPI student Lucy Stuehrmann is engaged in the Venice Project Center
- 2 Downingtown FLL RQT - 10-December-2016
- 3 D-Town Dustoff - 3-December-2016
- 4 Eastern Pennsylvania FTC Qualifying Tournament - 19-November-2016
- 5 MAR Vision Day - 12-November-2016
- 6 1640 CHAMPIONS at Ramp Riot - 5-November-2016
- 7 Society of Women Engineers Demonstration - 27 - 29 October-2016
- 8 1640 CHAMPIONS at Duel on the Delaware - 22-October-2016
- 9 Havoc - 24-September-2016
- 10 Techgirlz Robotics Workshop - 17-Sept-2016
- 11 Team Picnic - 10-August-2016
- 12 Robot demonstration for CCIU Summer Program students - 1-August-2016
- 13 Indiana Robotics Invitational - 15-16 July 2016
- 14 MAR Team Day at Dorney Park - 9-July-2016
- 15 1640 CHAMPIONS at Midknight Mayhem - 25-June-2016
- 16 Congratulations to our Graduates
- 17 STEM Advocacy at the State Capitol - 7-June-2016
- 18 King of Prussia FIRST Expo - 21-May-2016
- 19 FTC Championship - 27-30 April-2016
- 20 FRC Championship - 27-30 April-2016
- 21 Sugartown Elementary School's Lego Expo and Robotics Fair - 22-April-2016
- 22 MAR Championship - 13-16 April-2016
- 23 1640 Alumni win Penn State Smeal College of Business' Supply Chain Entrepreneurship 'Pitch' Contest
- 24 1640 CHAMPIONS and Co-Hosts at Westtown - 1-3 April-2016
- 25 7314 Division FINALISTS at the East Super-Regional Championship Tournament - 18-20 March-2016
- 26 1640 FINALISTS at Seneca - 18-20 March-2016
- 27 Robotics Demo at Lionville Elementary School - 14-March-2016
- 28 Girls Exploring Tomorrow's Technology (GETT) - 12-March-2016
- 29 Hatboro-Horsham - 4-6 March-2016
- 30 7314 PA CHAMPIONS at the FTC Pennsylvania Championship Tournament - 27-February-2016
- 31 Boeing Engineering Week FIRST Robotics Demo - 25-Feb-2016
- 32 7314 CHAMPIONS at South Central Pennsylvania FTC Qualifying Tournament - 20-February-2016
- 33 ISPE Vendor Night - Demo - 9-February-2016
- 34 Southeastern Pennsylvania FTC Qualifying Tournament - 9-January-2016
- 35 FRC Kick-off - 9-January-2016
FRC 1640 alumna and WPI student Lucy Stuehrmann is engaged in the Venice Project Center
Sab-BOT-age alumna Lucy Stuehrmann is helping to unearth Patterns in Venetian History:
- To design and create a web-based system to visualize archaeological data.
- To design and create a mobile app to collect archaeological data.
- To experiment with analytical cross-referencing techniques based on the collected data.
- All this is the project of digital archeology
- Presentation on 14 December to San Lio Church at 16:00
Downingtown FLL RQT - 10-December-2016
Our 5th annual regional qualifying tournament. Hosted at the CCIU. With 25 teams, out largest qualifier ever.
D-Town Dustoff - 3-December-2016
Downingtown's fifth annual FIRST LEGO League scrimmage, the D-Town Dustoff, was held at the CCIU TCHS-Brandywine in Downingtown, PA. 26 teams attended, far and away our largest event yet. This non-qualifying event was hosted by Downingtown Area Robotics in cooperation with the TCHS to help area FLL teams gain experience and prepare for their Qualifiers in this year's game, Animal AlliesSM!
Eastern Pennsylvania FTC Qualifying Tournament - 19-November-2016
FTC 7314 was really not ready for this competition. Our competition robot didn't even attend (because robots that move are just so much more interesting than those that don't). So we brought Budget Bot, our prototype chassis. Budget Bot can do just one thing: push the beacon buttons. One important point: it can do this in autonomous, and this is a useful ability.
It turns out that Budget Bot performed well. So did the team. We finished qualifications as 4th seed and were joined by FTC teams 8528 Rhyme know reason and 7055 Cruzin Comets Alpha to form the 4th alliance. Alas, the 1st alliance defeated us in semifinals and went on to win the tournament. Congratulations to 1st alliance teams 9372 (Standard Model), 9971(LANbros) & 6964 (Team IGUtech) on their victory.
Three DAR volunteers assisted in this event.
MAR Vision Day - 12-November-2016
Team 1640's use of vision processing gave the team a conspicuous competitive advantage during the 2016 season. Laura, the key developer of this vision processing system, led a robotics vision processing workshop for local FRC teams. 18 teams attended.
1640 CHAMPIONS at Ramp Riot - 5-November-2016
This was our first win ever at Ramp Riot! As 1st Alliance Captain (from a field of 36 teams). FRC Team 1640 (Sab-BOT-age) were joined by alliance partners 225 (TechFire), 321 (RoboLancers) and 272 (Cyber Crusaders). Thank you for pulling together with us for this victory!
We were 5-0-0 in qualifications and 6-0-0 in eliminations. A lossless day.
In addition to willing, we won the 1st Seed Award.
Society of Women Engineers Demonstration - 27 - 29 October-2016
FRC Teams 1640 (Sab-BOT-age) and 341 (Miss Daisy) highlighted FIRST's role in inspiring young women to pursue education and careers in Science and Technology at the 2016 Society of Women Engineers (SWE) Conference on 27 & 28 October.
FTC Team 7314
1640 CHAMPIONS at Duel on the Delaware - 22-October-2016
We finished quals as 1st seed (of 34) with an official 5-0-0 record which was actually 6-0-0, as we played and won a proxy match (which didn't count for us). We invited teams 341 (Miss Daisy) and 5420 (Velocity) to join us in the 1st alliance. Our alliance went on to become Champions in 7 hard-fought matches.
The event was also an important training opportunity for the team. Both Eric and Joshua G drove; both Sam and Akhila operated the robot; Becca joined Josh B in the pit.
Havoc - 24-September-2016
A rookie off-season event hosted by FRC 708. This was a first event for a number of our new students. Unfortunately, we really didn't really come ready. Repairs we knew we needed to do weren't done. Systems weren't really working. As a result, the pit was a busy place, fixing all of the problems we had hitherto deferred.
We got our heads back in the game as well. In the end, we did okay and seeded 2nd in quals with a 5-1-0 record and 16 Ranking Points. 4342 (Demon Robotics) and 5181 (La Salle Robotics) joined our alliance. We did not make it into finals.
Techgirlz Robotics Workshop - 17-Sept-2016
Downingtown Area Robotics hosted its first Robotics Workshop in cooperation with Techgirlz. Thanks to Laura and Akhila for organizing and planning this event, and also to Sai and Katie for instructing. A great success and a lot of fun. I expect we'll do this again.
Team Picnic - 10-August-2016
At Shadyside Park, West Bradford. Very well attended.
Robot demonstration for CCIU Summer Program students - 1-August-2016
Indiana Robotics Invitational - 15-16 July 2016
MAR Team Day at Dorney Park - 9-July-2016
1640 CHAMPIONS at Midknight Mayhem - 25-June-2016
Congratulations to our Graduates
Our graduating students brought the team through a period of amazing growth and success. We thank them and wish them success at University and beyond.
- Dana M - Co-Captain & Drive Operator - Downingtown West High School
- Paul B - Co-Captain & Pit Captain - Avon Grove Charter School
- Abbilyn M - Human Player - Downingtown S.T.E.M. Academy
- Fatima M - Downingtown West High School
- Kevin Schwenk - Scouting Lead - University Scholars
- Alicia G
STEM Advocacy at the State Capitol - 7-June-2016
King of Prussia FIRST Expo - 21-May-2016
FIRST Robots at the Court at King of Prussia Mall! How cool is that? Our sincere thanks to FRC 708 (Hatters) for organizing this event. Both Sab-BOT-age teams participated.
FTC Championship - 27-30 April-2016
FRC Championship - 27-30 April-2016
Our performance on the very competitive Newton field was good. We finished qualifications (10 matches) ranked 17th in a field of 75 with 27 ranking points and a 6-4-0 record.
Sugartown Elementary School's Lego Expo and Robotics Fair - 22-April-2016
A joint FRC1640-FTC7314 demonstration. The Sab-BOT-age teams were again a big hit with the Sugartown students!
MAR Championship - 13-16 April-2016
Some serious loss on mojo from Westtown. The major issue was with the rebuilt boulder intake; the original fell apart (very nearly) to dust at Westtown. At first we would rebuild to old specs. But we were able to make it better, faster, stronger. We had the Technology! But, alas, the new, improved intake just didn't work. We spent the qualification matches making it work.
Thanks to 5895 selecting us in the 1st draft, we qualified for FRC Championship! St. Louis, here we come!
1640 Alumni win Penn State Smeal College of Business' Supply Chain Entrepreneurship 'Pitch' Contest
Congratulations to IE student (and 1640 alum) Vamshi Voruganti and his team Connextion, which includes (1640 alum) Kenneth Au.
1640 CHAMPIONS and Co-Hosts at Westtown - 1-3 April-2016
The Westtown event was co-hosted by teams 1391 (based at the Westtown School) and 1640 and was a huge success. This was the first time the two teams had worked together to host a robotics tournament. According to Clem McKown, the Volunteer Coordinator for the event: “The Westtown School provides a wonderful venue for a robotics competition, while neighboring team 1640 has a much larger volunteer base of students, mentors and parents as well as experience in hosting FLL competitions. It was natural for us to team up to host a tournament. Together, we put on a great event.” A large portion of the team's students, mentors and parents served as event volunteers and planners.
Team 1640 seeded 3rd in a field of 37 teams with a (10-2-0) record during qualification matches. We gratefully accepted 225’s (TechFire) invitation to join them in the 1st alliance, which was completed by 1391 (Metal Moose). Together, we went on to become Westtown CHAMPIONS, defeating the 6th alliance in the 2nd final match through a tie-breaker.
1640 received the Quality Award.
7314 Division FINALISTS at the East Super-Regional Championship Tournament - 18-20 March-2016
FTC 7314 finished qualifications as Hopper Division 2nd seed with an (8-1-0) record. Recruiting teams 6055 (Gearticks) and our old allies 8645 (Robotic Doges) to form the 2nd alliance, we finished as Hopper Division Finalists. This earned 7314 a spot at the FTC World Championship!
1640 FINALISTS at Seneca - 18-20 March-2016
Big improvement over Hatboro. Finished qualifications as 3rd seed and went on to captain the 2nd Alliance comprising ourselves, 4573 (Rambotics) and 6203 (Titanium Knights). Finished as Finalists, losing the rubber match. Picked up the Industrial Design Award and 60 MAR qualifying points.
Robotics Demo at Lionville Elementary School - 14-March-2016
Girls Exploring Tomorrow's Technology (GETT) - 12-March-2016
Hatboro-Horsham - 4-6 March-2016
DEWBOT XII's first qualifier. Not our finest hour. We seeded 27th in a field of 37 with a (4-8-0) record. That said, we were the 6th Alliance Captain's (4454 - Artisan Rockets) 1st pick and we made it to the Semifinals. 1640 also received the Innovation in Control Award and 36 MAR Qualifying points. Dean's List nominee Meghana advances to the MAR Championship!
7314 PA CHAMPIONS at the FTC Pennsylvania Championship Tournament - 27-February-2016
With this win, we, and our alliance partners qualify for the East Super-Regional.
Boeing Engineering Week FIRST Robotics Demo - 25-Feb-2016
We demonstrated our robot, attended a aeronautic engineering exhibit, and went on a plant tour of the Chinook assembly line.
7314 CHAMPIONS at South Central Pennsylvania FTC Qualifying Tournament - 20-February-2016
2nd alliance captain 8221 (Cubix3) invited us to join their alliance, and we accepted. 8645 (Robotic Doges) completed the alliance. Together, we won the tournament. Both ourselves and 8645 qualified for the Pennsylvania Championship as result of this victory (8221 had previously qualified).
We set the PA State ResQ scoring record at 493 points. We were also the first team in Pennsylvania to score with the beacons.
FTC 7314 also received the Rockwell Collins Innovate Award. According to the judges:
- This team's innovative design allows them to score in the middle and high boxes. They consistently rescued climbers in autonomous. Although they tempted the Robot Gods to sabotage their robot, in the end they came through with flying colors in winning all their qualifying matches.
ISPE Vendor Night - Demo - 9-February-2016
Team Sab-BOT-age participated in the International Society for Pharmaceutical Engineering vendor night, discussing FIRST's programs.
Southeastern Pennsylvania FTC Qualifying Tournament - 9-January-2016
FTC 73144 managed a (3-2-0) qualifier match record which put us as 10th seed out of 34 teams.
4th seed / 3rd alliance captain team 8528 (Rhyme Know Reason) picked us as their first choice alliance partner. Team 7423 (Flaming Phoenix) completed the 3rd alliance. We finished as semifinalists.
The team received the PTC Design Award. According to the Judges:
- For the design award, this team has it all right. They are wearing gold to reflect their winning style. You see, they have a clean simple design, obvious functionality, and a notebook full of incredible CAD renderings. Their design shines with brilliance.
FRC Kick-off - 9-January-2016
The secrets of FIRST Stronghold were revealed to us. Hold on to your hats: it's build season!