News Archive 2017
Archived News Articles from 2017.
- 1 Downingtown FLL RQT - 9-December-2017
- 2 D-Town Dustoff - 11-November-2017
- 3 Ramp Riot - 4-November-2017
- 4 Duel on the Delaware - 21-October-2017
- 5 HAVOC - 30-September-2017
- 6 Techgirlz Robotics Workshop - 23-Sept-2017
- 7 Downingtown STEM Demo - 18-September-2017
- 8 Team Picnic - 2-August-2017
- 9 CCIU Demos - 26-July-2017
- 10 MAR Dorney Day - 22-July-2017
- 11 Indiana Robotics Invitational - 14 & 15 July-2017
- 12 Binder Picnic - 3-July-2017
- 13 Team Dinner - 24-June-2017
- 14 MidKnight Mayhem - 17-June-2017
- 15 Young Innovators Fair Demo - 10-June-2017
- 16 USP Demo - 26-May-2017
- 17 Congratulations to our Graduates
- 18 1640 Archimedes Sub-Division CHAMPIONS at FRC Championship - 26-29 April-2017
- 19 FIRST Mid-Atlantic Championship - 6-8 April-2017
- 20 Seneca - 24-26 March-2017
- 21 Westtown - 10-12 March-2017
- 22 International Society of Pharmaceutical Engineers Event - 16-February-2017
Downingtown FLL RQT - 9-December-2017
Our 6th annual regional qualifying tournament. Hosted at the CCIU. 23 teams participated.
D-Town Dustoff - 11-November-2017
Downingtown's sixth annual FIRST LEGO League scrimmage, the D-Town Dustoff, was held at the CCIU TCHS-Brandywine in Downingtown, PA. 28 teams attended, our largest FLL event yet. This non-qualifying event was hosted by Downingtown Area Robotics in cooperation with the TCHS to help area FLL teams gain experience and prepare for their Qualifiers in this year's game.
Ramp Riot - 4-November-2017
Duel on the Delaware - 21-October-2017
HAVOC - 30-September-2017
Techgirlz Robotics Workshop - 23-Sept-2017
Downingtown Area Robotics hosted its second Robotics Workshop in cooperation with Techgirlz. Thanks to Laura and Akhila for organizing and planning this event, and also to Sai and Meghana for instructing. Once again, a great success and a lot of fun.
Downingtown STEM Demo - 18-September-2017
Team Picnic - 2-August-2017
CCIU Demos - 26-July-2017
Demos performed for Robotics workshops at the CCIU.
MAR Dorney Day - 22-July-2017
Indiana Robotics Invitational - 14 & 15 July-2017
Binder Picnic - 3-July-2017
Team Dinner - 24-June-2017
MidKnight Mayhem - 17-June-2017
Sab-BOT-age finished qualifications ranked 4th. We accepted Nemesis' invitation to the 3rd alliance and Velocity completed our alliance. Alas, we were eliminated in quarterfinals by the 6th alliance, who went on the become champions.
Young Innovators Fair Demo - 10-June-2017
Team 1640 represented FRC at the Young Innovators Fair in Oaks, PA.
USP Demo - 26-May-2017
Congratulations to our Graduates
Our graduating students brought the team through a period of amazing growth and success. We thank them and wish them success at University and beyond.
- Madi - Co-Captain - Avon Grove Charter School
- Sullivan - Avon Grove Charter School
- Aashay - Downingtown S.T.E.M. Academy
- Joshua B - Downingtown West High School & CCIU TCHS
- Patrick- Downingtown East High School
- Jarryd - Downingtown East High School
1640 Archimedes Sub-Division CHAMPIONS at FRC Championship - 26-29 April-2017
Despite our middle of the pack ranking, we were the 2nd pick of the 1st alliance comprising 1058 (PVC Pirates - Captain), 67 (The HOT Team) and 2137 (T.O.R.C.). Together, we won Archimedes Sub-Division and advanced to Einstein! Unfortunately, we didn't make it to the finals. From a historical perspective, the team has won at the (Sub-)Division level during three of the past five years ( 2013, 2014 & 2017); and finished as Sub-Division Finalist in 2015.
FIRST Mid-Atlantic Championship - 6-8 April-2017
Seneca - 24-26 March-2017
Westtown - 10-12 March-2017
The Westtown event is co-hosted by teams 1391 (based at the Westtown School) and 1640. Steve Compton (1391 Head Mentor) serves as Event Coordinator, while Clem McKown (1640 Head Mentor) serves as Volunteer Coordinator. This was our 2nd year of co-hosting this event and our experience showed! This event ran much more smoothly than last year's.
This was 1640's first SteamWorks event. How did we do? Okay, but not as well as we imagined. We finished qualifications in 18th (of 31) with a 5-7-0 record; not impressive. We got 4 rotors running in one qual match, though, and we finished as semifinalist and received the Innovation in Control award for our CVT swerve design & control strategy. We earned 33 points towards MAR qualification and Meghana became a Deans' List semifinalist!
International Society of Pharmaceutical Engineers Event - 16-February-2017
Downingtown Area Robotics attended the Philadelphia annual conference of the Delaware Valley Chapter of the International Society of Pharmaceutical Engineers at the Lincoln Financial Field. Students on the communications team created brochures, business cards, buttons, and a tri-fold display to be used for this event and future outreach projects, and debuted DAR’s new website in public for the first time. Eight FRC and FTC students set up a display table, including a CVT swerve module and a student-welded FTC chassis, and took turns discussing DAR with visitors to the table. Students were able to meet with other vendors at the event, learning professional networking skills, discussing DAR with potential sponsors, and making connections with local companies (securing at least one exciting potential job offer for a DAR student). Students also had the opportunity to tour the Eagles’ locker rooms and stadium, and learn about some of the “green” innovations such as solar panels and waste recycling recently implemented at Lincoln Financial Field.