This is the current news items about Downingtown Robotics, all the teams: FRC and FTC.
Remember to read about Current Events coming your way.
- 1 Swerve meeting with Cybersonics - 7-November-2019
- 2 Ramp Riot - 2-3 November-2019
- 3 Malia Ashmead accepts position at Ethicon
- 4 Kids Tech Exploration Day at TURN5 - 26-October-2019
- 5 Alliance Captain at Duel on the Delaware - 19-October-2019
- 6 Robotstock - 24 & 25 August-2019
- 7 FRC 1640 travels to China - participates in RCC Qianjiang International Robotics Open - 26-July - 8-August-2019
- 8 Congratulations to our Graduates
- 9 Akhila named 2019 U.S. Presidential Scholar
- 10 Alumni Graduations
- 11 Graduating Sab-BOT-age students commit to colleges
- 12 FRC Championship - 24-27 April-2019
- 13 Congratulations Akhila - Harvard College bound!
- 14 Chairman's Award recipient at FIRST Mid-Atlantic Championship - 4-6 April-2019
- 15 Industrial Design Award recipient at FMA District Bensalem Event - 29-31 March-2019
- 16 CHAMPIONS at FMA District Seneca Event - 22-24 March-2019
- 17 CHAMPIONS and District Chairman's Award winner at FMA District Westtown Event - 8-10 March-2019
- 18 Westtown FLL RQT - 8-December-2018
- 19 Presentation to the Manufacturing Alliance of Chester & Delaware Counties - 4-December-2018
- 20 Downingtown FLL RQT - 1-December-2018
- 21 D-Town Dustoff - 10-November-2018
- 22 Alliance Captain at Ramp Riot - 3-November-2018
Swerve meeting with Cybersonics - 7-November-2019
Ramp Riot - 2-3 November-2019
1640 ran three different drive teams at Ramp Riot, giving competition driving experience to all who were interested. We finished qualifications in 8th place (of 30) and were invited by Vulcan Robotics (FRC 1218) to join them in the 2nd alliance. Spike (FRC 293) completed the alliance. We were eliminated in two very tight semifinal matches (an 84-84 tie and a 89-90 loss). Thanks to Vulcan for picking us - we love working with you and it's been too long since we've had the chance!
Malia Ashmead accepts position at Ethicon
Kids Tech Exploration Day at TURN5 - 26-October-2019
We were very happy to participate in Turn5's Kids Tech Exploration Day with all four FIRST programs. This Tech Outreach event was very well organized and packed with young families. Special thanks to Turn5 for organizing and hosting this outstanding event! At Turn5, 600 Cedar Hollow Road, Paoli.
FRC, FTC, FLL and FLL Jr were all represented by students and mentors from FRC 1640 and FTC 7314 and FLL 40203 (Hot-Bot-tatoes).
Alliance Captain at Duel on the Delaware - 19-October-2019
FRC 1640's (Sab-BOT-age's) competition season has started up again (did it ever really end?) with Duel on the Delaware. We had a lot of new students doing new jobs and this worked out very well. We finished qualification matches as 5th seed (of 30 teams) and led the 5th alliance (there's no in-picking at Duel). Our thanks to alliance partners 6226 (Blue Devils) and 341 (Miss Daisy). We were, alas, eliminated in quarterfinals.
Robotstock - 24 & 25 August-2019
FRC 1640 travels to China - participates in RCC Qianjiang International Robotics Open - 26-July - 8-August-2019Sab-BOT-age was one of ten international FRC teams invited to participate in this elite off-season FRC event in Hangzhou, China.
- The Road to (and from) China
- 2019 Suzhou International Youth Robotics Maker Camp - 28-30 July-2018
- Suzhou Sights
- 2019 RCC Qianjiang International Robotics Open - 31-July - 4-August-2019
- Wuyuan County (婺源县) Sightseeing - 5-7 August-2019
Congratulations to our Graduates
- Akhila Y - Co-Captain & Chairmans
- Cameron M - Co-Captain & Driver
- Sai M - Chairmans
- Braden D - Pit Captain & Mechanical
- Bhavana P - Human Player & Mechanical
- Charlie K - Mechanical
In addition, while, they did not participate in the 2019 season, two other members of the Sab-BOT-age family graduated as well:
- Joshua G - Machinist & Chairmans
- Sushmita B (a.k.a. Mia) - Mechanical & Pit
Akhila named 2019 U.S. Presidential Scholar
Avon Grove High School senior and 5-year Sab-BOT-teur Akhila Yalvigi has been named a 2019 U.S. Presidential Scholar, one of the nation's highest honors for high school students.
- Andrew Weissman graduated from Penn State with a degree in Engineering
- Marina San Miguel graduates from Penn State
- Malia Ashmead graduates from University of Florida
- Mentor Andy Park receives a Masters Degree from Penn State
Graduating Sab-BOT-age students commit to colleges
- Akhila commits to Harvard University
- Sai will be attending the University of Pennsylvania
- Bhavana has committed to the University of Delaware
- Joshua G will be attending Rochester Institute of Technology
FRC Championship - 24-27 April-2019
Sab-BOT-age (FRC 1640) finished qualification matches ranked 9th out of 68 teams on Archimedes and ended up as 8th Alliance Captain. Our gratitude and sincere thanks to FRC 271 (Mechanical Marauders), FRC 3015 (Ranger Robotics) and FRC 4391 (Gladstone BraveBots) for joining us in Eliminations. We had a good run, defeating the 1st Alliance 2-1 in Quarterfinals. Alas, the 5th Alliance was simply too good for us to beat in Semifinals - Archimedes 5th Alliance (teams 5406, 930, 1310 & 4004) went on to become Archimedes Champion and FRC Championship Finalist!
Congratulations Akhila - Harvard College bound!
Akhila is Co-Captain of FRC 1640 and an FTC 7314 alumna.
Chairman's Award recipient at FIRST Mid-Atlantic Championship - 4-6 April-2019
We ended qualification matches in 28th place (of 60) with a 6-5-1 record. We were the 1st pick of FRC 365 (Miracle Workerz), the 6th Alliance Captain. FRC 2729 (Storm) completed this Alliance. while we won the 1st quarterfinal match, we lost the next two.
Sab-BOT-age received the Chairman's Award. This automatically qualifies the team the for FRC Championship in Detroit.
At the close of the FIRST Mid-Atlantic competition season, 1640 is ranked #7 in MAR with 227 ranking points.
Industrial Design Award recipient at FMA District Bensalem Event - 29-31 March-2019
Team Sab-BOT-age (1640) participated in a 3rd FIRST Mid-Atlantic qualifying event at Bensalem. This is a new event at Bensalem High School.
As our 3rd District Event, Bensalem does not affect the team's ranking or prospects of advancing to the FRC Championship. We'd already qualified for the FIRST Mid-Atlantic Championship. This event was primarily intended to provide additional practice for all and an opportunity to improve our control software.
We ended qualifications ranked 6th in a field of 31 teams. That's okay, but we failed to move in one match and experience problems in others.
1640 had the good fortune of being invited to join the 1st Alliance by 2607 (The Fighting Robovikings). FRC 219 (Team Impact) completed the alliance. Unfortunately, and despite an awesome double HAB Level 3 climb in Quarterfinals 2, our alliance was eliminated in Quarterfinals.
Sab-BOT-age received the Excellence in Engineering Award.
CHAMPIONS at FMA District Seneca Event - 22-24 March-2019
Our HAB Lift was working and we performed better overall, finishing qualifications ranked 7th of 35 with an (8-4-0) record. We gratefully accepted the 2nd Alliance Captain's (834 -SparTech) invitation. 6327 (The Tin Soldiers) completed the 2nd Alliance, which while barely squeaking through Quarterfinals by the very barest of margins, went on to win the event!.
1640 earned 62 District points at Seneca.
CHAMPIONS and District Chairman's Award winner at FMA District Westtown Event - 8-10 March-2019
We had a slow start and our HAB Climb was not working. Finished qualifications in 27th place (of 32) with a (5-7-0) record. Pretty dismal. Despite this, we performed well in later matches and were the first pick of 2nd Alliance Captain 4342 (Demon Robotics). Together with 2191 (Flux Core), the 2nd Alliance won the event! 1640 also received the District Chairman's Award.
1640 earned 63 District points at Westtown. The District Chairman's Award also automatically qualified Sab-BOT-age for FMA Championships.
Westtown FLL RQT - 8-December-2018
Downingtown Area Robotics had the opportunity to help out our friends and neighbors the Metal Moose with their Westtown RQT. Thanks to the DAR volunteers who stepped up and volunteered for this event!
Presentation to the Manufacturing Alliance of Chester & Delaware Counties - 4-December-2018
Downingtown FLL RQT - 1-December-2018
The Downingtown Area Robotics Regional Qualifying Tournament was held at the CCIU's Technical College High School Brandywine Campus on Saturday, 1-December. This was our 7th Downingtown RQT. (25) teams participated; six advance to the PennFLL Championships.
D-Town Dustoff - 10-November-2018
The D-Town Dustoff FIRST LEGO League scrimmage was held at the CCIU's Technical College High School Brandywine Campus, 443 Boot Road, Downingtown on Saturday, 10-November. This was out 7th Dustoff. As always, the Dustoff was run like a Qualifying Tournament to provide teams with a useful practice session prior to their qualifying tournament. Sixteen (16) local FLL teams participated.
Alliance Captain at Ramp Riot - 3-November-2018
This was a good event for Sab-BOT-age. The team finished qualification matches ranked 7th in a field of 36 teams 3-2-0. Since there is no in-picking at Ramp Riot, we were the 7th alliance captain, inviting teams 4362 (Roxbotix), 2016 (Mighty Monkey Wrenches) and 432 (Simple Machines) to join our alliance. We made it through the quarterfinals (against 2nd alliance 708, 316, 103 & 5404) 2-0-0, but were eliminated in semifinals by the 6th alliance (1712, 834, 1403 & (2)607) 1-2-0, who finished the event as winners.
Older news items can be found in:
News Archive 2018
News Archive 2017
News Archive 2016
News Archive 2015
News Archive 2014
News Archive 2013
News Archive 2012
News Archive 2011
News Archive 2010
News Archive 2009