News Archive 2014
Archive of News Articles from 2014
- 1 Team Sab-BOT-age made the photo banner on the FIRST website
- 2 Downingtown Area Robotics-TCHS-Penn FLL Qualifying Event 2014 - 7-December-2014
- 3 Eastern Pennsylvania FTC Qualifying Tournament - 6-December-2014
- 4 ArkemaNews Magazine - 24-November-2014
- 5 DAR FLL Scrimmage - 22-November-2014
- 6 1640 featured in FIRST media
- 7 Ramp Riot - 1-November-2014
- 8 Duel on the Delaware - 18-October-2014
- 9 Exchange Club of West Chester presentation & demo - 9-October-2014
- 10 DASD School Board Presentation - 13-August-2014
- 11 MAR Competitiveness Workshop
- 12 Tippermans run Robot Springboard to teach robotics
- 13 Main Line Kiwanis presentation & demonstration - 30-July-2014
- 14 Indiana Robotics Invitational - 18 & 19 July-2014
- 15 MAR Team Day at Dorney Park - 12-July-2014
- 16 Midknight Mayhem - 28-June
- 17 Kids Fest - 21-June
- 18 Visit by FRC Team 365 Miracle Workerz - 11-June-2014
- 19 Congratulations to our Graduates
- 20 Best wishes to 1640 Alumni Graduates!
- 21 Nicholas Z receives Shining Star Award
- 22 Demo at Downingtown West High School - 2-May-2014
- 23 In Memorium - Miranda Ram-Nolte
- 24 FRC Championship Newton Division CHAMPIONS and Championship FINALISTS - 23-26 April 2014
- 25 MAR Championship 4th seed & alliance captain - 10-12 April 2014
- 26 Lenape-Seneca MAR Qualifying Tournament 2nd seed & FINALIST - 22 & 23 March 2014
- 27 Hatboro-Horsham MAR Qualifying Tournament - 1 & 2 March 2014
- 28 Daily Planet - 27-Feb
- 29 FRC Kick-off
Siri Maley at the 2014 FRC Championship.
Downingtown Area Robotics-TCHS-Penn FLL Qualifying Event 2014 - 7-December-2014
Downingtown's third annual FIRST LEGO League Qualifying Event was held on 7 December, 2013 at the CCIU TCHS Brandywine Campus in Downingtown, PA. This competition was hosted by Downingtown Area Robotics to allow area FLL teams to compete and qualify for the Penn FLL Championship in this year's game, WORLD CLASSSM!
Eastern Pennsylvania FTC Qualifying Tournament - 6-December-2014
FTC 7314 Sab-BOT-age takes the Rockwell-Collins Innovate Award in its first Cascade Effect qualifier!
ArkemaNews Magazine - 24-November-2014
FRC 1640 sponsor Arkema posted an article in their intranet ArkemaNews Magazine regarding the team's outstanding 2014 performance and the overall program. All prior Arkema postings have been exclusively focused on the US portion of the company, but ArkemaNews Magazine has global visibility within the company.
DAR FLL Scrimmage - 22-November-2014
Downingtown's third annual FIRST LEGO League Tune Up, the D-Town Dust-off, at the CCIU TCHS-Brandywine in Downingtown, PA.
This non-qualifying event was hosted by Downingtown Area Robotics in cooperation with the TCHS to help area FLL teams gain experience and prepare for their Qualifiers in this year's game, WORLD CLASSSM! 15 area teams participated.
1640 featured in FIRST mediaFRC Corporate Sponsorship flyer, FRC University Sponsorship Flyer and Season Recap. In addition, five of the 63 marketing tool photos in FRC's 2014 gallery show DEWBOT X and/or our drive team. One of these is shown at right.
Ramp Riot - 1-November-2014
Hosted by team 341 (Miss Daisy) at Wissahickon High School in Ambler PA. Team 1640 has participated at Ramp Riot every year of its existence. This year was an especially good one for teams Sab-BOT-age.
FTC 7314 won the FTC scrimmage, with the help of alliance partner 4433, Smoking Motors.
Team Sab-BOT-age ( FRC 1640) was 4th seed, alliance captain and FINALIST at Ramp Riot.
Duel on the Delaware - 18-October-2014
Exchange Club of West Chester presentation & demo - 9-October-2014
Abbilyn, MacKenzie and Nicholas, with support from mentors Gary Deaver, Faith McKown and Andrew Weissman, reviewed FRC 1640's robotics program and community service to the Exchange Club of West Chester.
DASD School Board Presentation - 13-August-2014present at the Downingtown Area School District's board meeting. While we are no longer affiliated officially with DASD, Sab-BOT-age is a DASD team by birth, and most of our students are from the district.
MAR Competitiveness Workshop
FRC 1640's Clem McKown and Mike Rizzo participated in a workshop organized by David Bodmar of FRC 11/193 (MORT & MORT Beta) on how to make MAR more competitive. Teams 25 (Raider Robotix), 222 (Tigertrons), 225 (TechFire), 341 (Miss Daisy), 1923 (Midknight Inventors) and 2590 (Nemesis) also participated.
Tippermans run Robot Springboard to teach robotics
For two years, FRC 1640's Hannah and Rachael have run Robot Springboard, bringing robotics, lessons to young students and attracting the attention of the US Secretary of Education, Arne Duncan. Their successful program has had international reach.
Main Line Kiwanis presentation & demonstration - 30-July-2014
Team Sab-BOT-age met with the Main Line Kiwanis to discuss our robotics program, the benefits to students and the team's competitive success.
Indiana Robotics Invitational - 18 & 19 July-2014
Held at Lawrence North High School in Indianapolis, Indiana 18 & 19 July-2014. Participation is by invitation only and the level of play is simply awesome. Team Sab-BOT-age has participated in IRI every year since 2010; every year of swerve drive for us.
This year, we seeded 25th in a field of 68 with a (5-4-0) qualification record. We were not selected for an alliance.
On the way home, we continued an ancient and time-honored team tradition by spending the morning of Sunday, 20-July at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base near Dayton, OH.
MAR Team Day at Dorney Park - 12-July-2014
- Team 25 Raider Robotix
- Team 223 Xtreme Heat
- Team 433 Firebirds
- Team 365 MOE
- Team 1257 Parallel Universe
- Team 4954 4-H Palindrome Robotics
Midknight Mayhem - 28-June
Our all-new drive team and pit crew, together with a new, highly reliable 2-ball high autonomous earned us a 4th seed spot with a (4-1-0) qualification record. We accepted team 869's (Power Cord) invitation to join the 3rd alliance, but were eliminated in a quarterfinals rubber match, losing by 4 points.
Kids Fest - 21-June
Downingtown Area Robotics responded to a request from the office of PA State Representative Duane Milne (167th District) and put together an FRC, FTC and FLL demonstration at Great Valley Middle School.
Visit by FRC Team 365 Miracle Workerz - 11-June-2014
Mentors and students from MOE visited for a detailed review and examination of Sab-BOT-age's swerve technology.
Congratulations to our Graduates
We've got a record number of graduates this year. These students not only witnessed, but drove a tremendous team transition. As Freshmen, these students were there for 1640's first ever official season victory at Philadelphia in 2011. As Seniors, they were on Einstein as we became FRC Championship Finalists. Congratulations and very best wishes for the future to:
- Molly K - Co-Captain, Pit Captain & Mechanical Lead - Avon Grove Charter School
- Dhananjay (DJ) R - Co-Captain & Programming Lead - Downingtown S.T.E.M. Academy
- Patrick C - Safety Captain & Driver/Operator - Collegium Charter School
- Lucy S - Lead Scout & Designer - Avon Grove Charter School
- Ian W - Scout & Mechanical - Great Valley High School
- Jack R - Mechanical, Welding & Driver/Operator - Downingtown West High School
- Yahya M - Human Player & Mechanical - Downingtown West High School
- Sarah S - Programming - Downingtown East High School
- Tobias B - Mechanical - Downingtown S.T.E.M. Academy
Best wishes to 1640 Alumni Graduates!Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Carly goes on to doctoral studies at the University of Tennessee and research at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Carly joined 1640 during the lead-in to the 2008 (DEWBOT IV) build season; ultimately serving as Co-Captian and Driver.
Paul Klufas (DEHS class of '10) received his Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering from Bucknell University. On team for 2007-2010 seasons; Co-Captain and Programming Lead.
Brianna Edwards (DEHS class of '10) received her degree in Advertising from Temple University.
Nicholas Z receives Shining Star Award
DMS and FTC 7314 student Nicholas Z was named a the Shining Star in the Keystone Federal Credit Union fifth annual Shining Star Award program.
Demo at Downingtown West High School - 2-May-2014
Mackenzie and Dana led a robotics demonstration for incoming freshmen and Downingtown West High School.
In Memorium - Miranda Ram-Nolte
FRC Championship Newton Division CHAMPIONS and Championship FINALISTS - 23-26 April 2014
Thanks to alliance partners 1678 (Citrus Circuits - alliance captain), 1114 (Simbotics) and 5136 (Mechapirates), we were Newton Division Champions and Einstein Finalists at FRC Championships. We achieved the hard goal we had set for ourselves nearly a year earlier.
This is an entirely new place for Sab-BOT-age.
MAR Championship 4th seed & alliance captain - 10-12 April 2014
Lenape-Seneca MAR Qualifying Tournament 2nd seed & FINALIST - 22 & 23 March 2014
Big turn-around from Hatboro-Horsham! Our detailed analysis of the shooter failure facilitated an effective correction. 1640 finished qualifications at 2nd seed with a (10-2-0) record. Joining the 1st alliance, we finished the event as FINALISTS. The 56 MAR qualifying points earned secured a spot for us a MAR Championships.
Hatboro-Horsham MAR Qualifying Tournament - 1 & 2 March 2014
Our performance was seriously compromised by an unanticipated Shooter Failure which was only diagnosed and corrected after the competition. We finished qualifications as 19th seed with a (6-6-0) record. We were the first pick of the 8th alliance, but did not advance past the quarterfinals. We earned just 21 MAR qualifying points at this event.
Daily Planet - 27-Feb
The Daily Planet, a Discovery Channel Canada science and technology program, featured team 1640's final build season weekend in a program aired on 27-Feb.
The deepest, darkest secrets of FRC's 2014 game, Aerial Assist, were revealed to us. There were a few surprises for us. First, we were featured in FRC's kick-off video. Second, Kira and Douglas were prominently featured on the cover of the 2014 season schedule. This media attention is entirely new for us.