Clem McKown - Head Mentor FRC 1640 & FTC 7314FRC Team 1640 starting with the 2006 (Aim High) season. Since 2008, I've served as Head Mentor for FRC 1640 and Chairman of Downingtown Area Robotics. Our FTC program was launced in the summer of 2013. The key competencies which I bring to FRC are Project Management, Team Leadership, Mechanical Design, CAD skills and perserverence.
I studied Chemistry at SUNY @ Stony Brook, Chemical Engineering at New Jersey Institute of Technology (Newark NJ) and completed the Technology Management Program at CalTech's Industrial Relations Center.
In my day-job, I am Director Business Development - Thiochemicals for Arkema, Inc., based in King of Prussia PA. I have worked for Arkema (and predecessor companies) since 1985, starting as a Process Engineer. My career in Arkema has been focused on developing new products and businesses, both from the technology and business sides. I have a passion for creating new products and businesses, which my job allows me to pursue.
I am currently leading the global development of Paladin®, a pre-plant soil fumigant which effectively replaces methyl bromide in many applications. Methyl bromide is an Ozone Depleting Chemical banned under the Montreal Protocol, which remains in use due to absence of effective substitutes. Paladin is dimethyl disulfide, a chemical produced naturally as part of the atmosphere's sulfur cycle and utilized by allium (onions, garlic) and brassicaceae (cabbage & mustard family) to control predation. It is contained naturally in many foods and an approved food additive. Paladin® has been granted registration in the US, Israel, Mexico, Morocco, Turkey, Jordan, Lebanon, South Korea, Egypt and Argentina.
The early part of my career was spent in developing Arkema's flat glass coatings business, based on applying a thin, transparent, low emissivity/electrically conductive (Certincoat®) ceramic coating to glass. The coating process is integrated into the the glass manufacturing process. Low emissivity coated glass can reduce building's heating and cooling energy requirements by more than 30% vis-à-vis uncoated glass and this coating is also used as a transparent conductor (electrode) for certain types of photovoltaic cells. I was granted (7) Patents in this area. From 1994 to 2005, I served on the Program Committee of the International Conference on Coatings on Glass, co-chairing the atmospheric-pressure sessions and remain on the International Advisory Committee.
My user name, mài kāng wēi (迈康威) is my given Chinese name. During 2003-4, I worked for about a year and a half in Qinhuangdao.
Hobbies are photography, bicycling and (of course) mentoring robotics. I have useful language skills in German and Mandarin and am studying French.
I am the Father of three daughters who graduated from the Downingtown Area School District. All have particpated in robotics. My eldest, Amber, together with Paul Sabatino, brought me into robotics. I'm afraid I'm hooked now, even though my daughters have all graduated from University (all from RPI).
Volunteering for FIRST
Volunteers play a critical role in FIRST. All events run on volunteer effort.
- FRC Robot Inspector - Mid-Atlantic District Championship 2018
- FRC Robot Inspector - Hatboro-Horsham 2018
- FRC Lead Robot Inspector - Seneca 2018
- FRC Volunteer Coordinator - Westtown 2018
- FRC Robot Inspector - Hatboro-Horsham 2018
- FLL Event Director - Downingtown 2017
- FLL Referee - Oxford 2017
- FRC Volunteer Coordinator - Westtown 2017
- FRC Robot Inspector - Hatboro-Horsham 2017
- FLL Event Director - Downingtown 2016
- FRC Volunteer Coordinator - Westtown 2016
- FLL Event Director - Downingtown 2015
- FLL Event Director - Downingtown 2014
- FLL Event Director - Downingtown 2013
- FLL Robot Design Judge = Downingtown 2012
- FRC Robot Inspector - Mt. Olive 2012
- 2018 - FIRST Mid-Atlantic's Don Bowers Inspiration Award
- 2015 - Arkema Inc's Thiochemicals Above and Beyond award.
- 2015 - Arkema Arena Award Finalist - The award is inspired by Theodore Roosevelt's "Man in the Arena" quotation from his speech on "Citizenship in a Republic" delivered at the Sorbonne - 23-April-1910.
- 2012 - the American Chemical Society's 2012 Hero of Chemistry award for scientific discovery, technical development, and commercial implementation of Atmospheric Pressure Chemical Vapor Deposition technology for the production of high performance window glass.
- 2011 - the Paladin® Team received Arkema's Innovation Award for the registration of Paladin® and launch of this new business.
- 2011 - Arkema Inc's Chairman's Award & Thiochemicals Above and Beyond award.
- 2006 - Arkema Inc's Thiochemicals Above and Beyond award for the transfer of sulfonyls manufacturing to a new platform.
- 2004 - Yanzhao (燕赵) Friendship Award from the Hebei Provincial Government, Peoples Republic of China for the startup of the world's first turn-key on-line low emissivity coating system at our customer's plant in Qinhuangdao (秦皇岛).
- 1994 - Elf Innovation Award from Elf Aquitaine S.A. (a parent/predecessor company of Arkema) for the technical & commercial development of low emissivity coating technology.
Where I've Been (International)
- France (Paris, Lyon, Pau, Lescar, Lacq, Limoges, Nîmes, Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, Compiègne, Lourdes, Chambord, Bordeaux, Saint-Emilion, Sauternes, Saint-Jean-de-Luz, Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, Oloron-Ste-Marie, Mauléon-Château Licharre, Les Baux, Glanum, Chartres, Laruns, Eaux-Chaudes, Artouste, Sauveterre-de-Béarn, Mont Saint-Michel, Bayeux, Arthez-de-Béarn, Bayonne)
- Japan (Tokyo, Kyoto, Matsuzaka City, Nara, Kobe, Himiji, Osaka, Nagoya)
- The Netherlands (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Maastricht, Eindhoven, Kinderdijk, Vlissingen, Middelburg, Goes, Bergen-op-Zoom, Zierikzee, Arnhem)
- Germany (Düsseldorf, Essen, Braunschwieg, Saarbrücken, Köln, Frankfurt-am-Main, Hamburg, Mainz, Kronach)
- South Korea (Seoul, Inchon, Busan, Suwon, Yoju, Goje Island, Ulsan, Gyeongju, Changwon, Haman, Masan, Jeonju, Sicheon, Jinju, Seongju, Daegu, Buyeo, Gwangju, Muan)
- Belgium (Brussels, Charleroi, Bruges, Antwerp, Moustier, Jumet)
- Malaysia (Johor Bahru, Penang, Kuala Lumpur)
- Australia (Melbourne, Adelaide)
- Spain (Barcelona, Jaca, Totana, Mazarrón, Alicante)
- Russia (Moscow)
- United Kingdom (London, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Manchester, Harrogate, Yorkshire Downs, York, St. Helens, Ormskirk)
- Austria (Vienna)
- Denmark (Copenhagen)
- Finland (Helsinki, Tampere)
- Thailand (Bangkok)
- Indonesia (Jakarta)
- South Africa
- Morocco (Casablanca, Rabat)
- India (Mumbai, Pune, Mahabaleshwar, Wai)
Where I've Been (U.S.)
- New Jersey - lived 11 years here
- Pennsylvania - where I live
- New Hampshire
- Rhode Island
- West Virginia
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- District of Columbia
- New Mexico