Steering Committee 2011-09-08
From DEW Robotics
6:00 - 8:00 Waterloo Warehouse
- Approval of minutes from the 28-July Meeting
- Financial Report
- Confirmation of 2011/12 Officers
- Space Status & ongoing efforts
- FRC plans
- Practice Kickoff
- Vex plans
- FLL Plans
- Scott Featherman, Foster Schucker, Gary Deaver, Mike Rizzo, Sasha Wall, Rita Wall, Faith McKown, Clem McKown, Julie Christopher
(Sasha acting Secretary)
Approval of minutes from the 28-July Meeting
- The previous minutes were approved as issued.
- According to Faith, we are in good standing financially, with $4000 dollars in savings.
Confirmation of 2011/12 Officers
- The Committe agreed that Douglas should be our Treasurer and Andrew should be our Secretary in the 2011-2012 season. Douglas is also the Safety Captain.
Space Status & ongoing efforts
- FRC 1640 is in the Waterloo Gardens building until November 1st (at least).
- The lease may fall through, possibly leaving us with the Waterloo Gardens building for the rest of the year.
- We have found a machine shop that is willing to lend us some space.
- Design and CAD training have been ongoing. Programming training has been run (complete). Working on setting up welding training. Heavy equipment training on hold for now, as all such equipment remains in storage. Also considering some public speaking lessons (Rita Wall lead).
- Practice Kickoff
- Practice kickoff on Sept. 17, 2011
- The event is open to the local FIRST community
- Participating in 2 off-season competitions: 'Duel on the Delaware' and 'Ramp Riot'
- Clem has been in touch with Ms. Armstrong from the 'Educational Fund' about co-ordinating fundraising efforts
- FRC 1640 is once again looking for sponsors.
- We are also trying to keep our current sponsors: Boeing, Arkema, etc.
- Foster also mentioned that we should look into matching grants.
- Applebee's Flapjack Fundraiser on October 16th. (Team wall photos and other adversting opportunies available.
- Rizzo mentioned putting together a 5k fundraiser?
- We have lightbulbs for selling!
- Possible Pepsi sponsorship/donation?
- VEX will not start their season until they have acquired a space in which they may reside the entire year.
- They will be charging the full cost at the beginning of the year.
- Possible parent night at Waterloo Gardens? (the 20th and the 22nd were the dates that I heard)
- Holding only one event this year (in March)
- 4 FLL teams that need a home
- 6 FLL teams total (2 residing at Springton Manner)
- Possible home for 2 of those teams at Pickering Valley?
- FLL teams might switch off with VEX certain nights of the week and use the Waterloo Gardens facility, should it become a more permanent residence.
- 4 new students (Lucy, Patrick, Karl, and Rohan)
- Word-of mouth recruitment
- Link on the DASD website
- Can we attend Back-to-School days?
- FRC 1640 Flyer in schools?