Steering Committee 2013-08-29
Steering Team Agenda – 29-November-2013
- 2014 Budget
- Dorney Park
- FLL Events
- Recruiting targets
- Promotional Video
- Teacher Contacts
- FRC Competition Plans
- FTC Team 7314
- Boy Scout Merit Badge Counseling
- How to execute
- Do we expand?
- NI Update & plans
- New Business
Attendees: Gary Deaver Faith McKown Clem McKown Mike Rizzo
2014 Budget – Clem did not have this ready for review – next meeting (sorry).
- No new developments on the Dorney Park event (Rizzo)
- Corporate – Updated fundraising letter (w/ new spy-gear letterhead) is being drafted. McKown will complete and send out to incumbent sponsors (for starters).
- FLL Events – DAR will host two FLL events at the CCIU: a scrimmage on 23-November; and a Qualifier on 7-December. Both target 24 teams. McKown is Event Coordinator; Christopher is Volunteer Coordinator; Featherman is Event Director Assistant; D. Drago & J. Stuehrmann volunteered to organize the concessions. All volunteers will register via VIMS (both events).
- Boeing and UTC grants are essential for registration and competitions.
- Student contributions should not exceed last year’s levels.
- M. Curran has composed an awesome recruiting brochure. In addition, we are distributing the last of the printed robotics posters.
- Based on a request from Andrew Buchanan at Downingtown East, Siri Maley created a 1-minute promotional video for school display. This video has been distributed to Downingtown East and the CCIU.
- Andrew Buchanan, physics teacher at Downingtown East, will help identify promising students. Mr. Buchanan runs the rocketry club.
FRC Competition plans
- We would like to add a Regional to our competition season. Additional cost is $4,000 plus travel.
- FTC 7314 is registered. Just two students so far, but four mentors (McKown, Christopher, Deaver & A. Weissman. We are registered for the Ramp Riot scrimmage, the Southeast PA Qualifier (Oxford) and South Central PA Qualifier (PSU York). Kit ordered (but not shipped yet).
Boy Scout Merit Badge Counseling
- We will follow a 2-tier approach
- 1. Set up workshops for efficient merit badge completion
- 2. Integrate the robotics merit badge requirements into the FTC / FRC programs so that scout-students completing a build season will earn the merit badge (and potentially extensions in the future).
- Deaver suggested offering the program to Girl Scout groups as an introduction to robotics.
Clem McKown Head Mentor – FRC 1640 Chairman – Downingtown Area Robotics